Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Girl Scouting In My Heart

It's been a while since my last blog. I've had lots going on from the Scrapbook crop (which went amazingly well!! BRAVO US!!!) to a weekend camp out with my troop at Camp Juliette Low (FABULOUS). Girl Scouts really has taken over the majority of my free time. Who would have thought when I made that commitment 6 years ago to begin this journey with Gabby to be her Daisy Leader that I would be so involved. Girl Scouts has really changed who I am and helped shaped the person I am. I know that sounds silly but even though I was never a scout as a kid, you are still growing as a person even as an adult and it's really shaped me. I have changed so much, I am more patient, humble, I've learned to step back and relinquish control to those girls and I have even come to terms with public speaking. I may not be the best at it but I'm leaps & bounds better than when I first started. I set out to have a fun activity with Gabby and now Girl Scouting is a part of me each & every day. I've been blessed to have formed friendships that I hope will last a lifetime. I am approaching my last meeting as SUM and I have mixed emotions. Part of me is happy to be done with the responsibility of another big commitment and the fact that I won't have to deal with the troublesome drama queens that exist as leaders in the SU, but on the other hand I am very sad. I would have liked to stay on working with the girls, planning events and watching them experience new things-that was the very best part of it all. I hope that the years I served I was able to touch the lives of at least one person and was able to set the light of Girl Scouts in their hearts the way it was done for me! The values of the Girl Scout Promise and Law are at the heart of the entire Girl Scout program. Through the values inherent in the Promise & Law, girls form their own beliefs and values, learn to consider ethical aspects of situations, and are committed to social justice and community service and action. I really try to live by the promise & the law! Girl Scout Promise and Law The Girl Scout Promise and Law are shared by every member of Girl Scouting. The Girl Scout Promise is the way Girl Scouts agree to act every day toward one another and other people, and the Law outlines a way to act towards one another and the world. The Girl Scout Promise On my honor, I will try: To serve God* and my country, To help people at all times, And to live by the Girl Scout Law. The Girl Scout Law I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, courageous and strong, and responsible for what I say and do, and to respect myself and others, respect authority, use resources wisely, make the world a better place, and be a sister to every Girl Scout. GO GIRL SCOUTS!!!! THANK YOU JULIETTE LOW.. I bet when you started this you could have never imagined how it would grow and how many lives would be changed by what you started!!

No comments:

Post a Comment